•World Economic Forum Global Agenda Council on Data Driven Development
•Thought Leader on Digital Ecosystems.
•Panelist at the Global Solutions Networks Summit, Embassy of Canada and US Department of State, Washington DC, February 19-20, 2014
•Flying with the Double Helix of ICT-powered Medicine towards a Healthier Future, Invited Presentation at the Flagship IT-Future of Medicine Meeting, Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 24-25, 2011.
•Conference Program Chair, and Panel Chair, IEEE Women in Science and Engineering Conference 2011, March 23-25, 2011, Perth, Australia.
•Scholar in Residence at IBM Almaden Research, San Jose, California, USA , May-June 2011.
•Visiting Academic Professor, Digital Ecosystems and Business Intelligence Institute, Curtin Business School, Perth, Australia, March-April 2011.
•Associate Editor, Computing Journal, Springer, in charge with the area of Bio-Inspired Computing (since 2011).
•Special issue on bio-inspired computing, The Computing Journal, Springer, November, 2011
•Member IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Standards Committee, since 2010
•Scientific Committee Member, International Consortium on Projectics (novel ways of managing work in organizations concerned with the creative, innovative pursuit), 2010 - ongoing.
•Expert Evaluator for the European Commission on the FP7 Security Call 1 for 2011.
•Panelist on "Global Security Problems Between Democracy and War" at the Forum on Changing Global Power Balances and Turkey"., October 6-7, 2010, Istanbul, Turkey.
•Member of the Scientific Committee for the Projectics Conference, October 7-8, 2010 Technopole Izarbel, France.
•Panelist on Future Manufacturing: How to bridge the bio-silicon gap? in the Living Technologies Session at the EC ICT 2010 Forum "Digitally Driven", September 28, 2010, Brussels, Belgium.
•Panelist on "Living Technology - Putting People in the Present" a discussion on the broader implications of living technology, organized by the ISSP (Initiative for Science Society and Policy, Denmark), Odense, August 24, 2010.
•Panelist on "Grand Challenges for the Artificial Life Community" at Artificial Life 2010, Odense, Denmark, August 22, 2010.
•Presentation at the EC-FP7 ICT for Governance and Policy Modeling Workshop, Brussels, Belgium, July 13, 2010.
•Only speaker from outside of Europe at the SCIENCE & POLICY FORUM on Future and Emerging Technologies Flagships" Workshop. Centre Albert Borschette, Brussels. 9 - 10 June 2010.
•Innovation Adoption Co-Chair, IEEE Digital Ecosystems Technologies (DEST 2010), Dubai, United Arab Emirates, April 13-16, 2010
•Digital Ecologies for a Green World, invited visionary contribution for the European Union future reasearch agenda on Pervasive Adaptation. February, 2010
• Invited Talk (the only Canadian) at the Workshop on ‘Causality in Complex Systems’ organized by the Australian Department of Defence under International Research Programs, Paris, France, November 25-27, 2009
•Represented Canada at the EU Science-Business Innovation Round Table, Brussels, November 6, 2009
• Invited expert for the the Ontario Council on Graduate Studies (OCGS) assessment of MSc and PhD programs (2009).
• Editor in Chief, ICST Transactions on EnergyWeb
•Editor, IT Revolutions Book, Springer 2009
• Advisory Board Member for the International Machine Intelligence Research (MIR) Scientific Network for Innovation and Research Excellence, 2008-... (ongoing)
• Steering Committee - PROMPT Green ICT Initiative, 2008-... (ongoing)
•Distinguished Speaker Tour at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Institutes of Mathematical Sciences and Systems Sciences and Institute of Computer Science, October 2008
• Technical Program Co-Chair INDIN 2008, IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics, Korea, July 13-16 2008.
• International Program Committee Member - 1st International Workshop on Pervasive Adaptation, October 20-21, 2008 Venice, Italy
• Member International Steering Committee - IEEE Industrial Informatics 2009, Cardiff, UK, June 24-26, 2009
• Systems Thinking for a Complex World, Invited talk in the School of Systems and Enterprises, Stevens Institute of Technology, USA (March 25, 2008)
• Invited Talk "Complex Networks as Control Paradign for Complex Systems", Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Carnegie Melon University, USA, August 30, 2007
• Industrial Ecosystems as a Responsible Autonomy in a Networked World - Tutorial Lecture at the IEEE DEST 2009, Istanbul, Turkey, June 1-3, 2009
• Chair and Organizer, Workshop on Holistic Security Ecosystems at the IEEE DEST 2009, Istanbul, Turkey, June 1-3, 2009
• Appointed Expert Evaluator by the European Comission Directorate General Security, Information Society and Media for the Joint Call on ICT and Security (2007- 2008)
• Invited Expert Reviewer on the Ontario Premier's Discovery Awards - Innovation Leadership Panel (2007-2009)
• Invited Talk "Engineering the eNetwork DNA of Cyber-Physical Ecosystems" at the Institut des Systèmes Complexes, CREA - CNRS & Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France, April 4, 2008
• Invited Reviewer for Call 7 of the Chemical, Biological, Radiological-Nuclear and Explosives Research and Technology Initiative (CRTI) - 2007/2008
• Chair and Organizer of the International Workshop on eNetworks Cyberengineering: Infrastructures for Cyberphysical Ecosystems at the IEEE Systems Man and Cybernetics Conference, Montreal, Canada, October 7-10, 2007
• Industry Track Co-Chair, BIONETICS 2007
• Appointed Liaison between ENF 2007 and Cognitive Computing 2007 – to foster cross-fertilization between the two emerging research communities (2007 - )
• Chair “Silicon in Love” Session at ENF 2007
• Expert on the Security Foresight Advisory Panel, Centre for Security Science, Science & Technology Directorate, Office of the National Science Advisor, Government of Canada (2006-2015)
• Member IEEE – Computational Intelligence Society Technical Committee on Emergent Technology (2007 - ) of the IEEE CIS (ETTC)
• Invited Expert on the EU-Future and Emerging Technologies Project CHAMELEON, 2007
• Expert on the Canada-US Fullbright Emergency Preparedness Working Group (2006).
• Member on the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, Emergent Technologies Technical Committee (Task Force on Agent Technologies), 2006.
• Distinguished Lecturer on Risk Management and Security of eNetworks (intensive workshop), Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Melbourne University and The University of New South Wales, Sydney Australia, December 2006
Organizing Cyber Systems", Invited Contribution at the Joint EU-Canada
• Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC), Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) of Singapore, in charge with Industrial Informatics (2007-2009).
• Invited Member on the NSERC International Strategy Advisory Committee (2006).
• International Expert on the US National Science Foundation (NSF) Cyber-Systems Panel (both review and future research directions setting) 2006
• Member Strategic Projects Safety and Security Review Panel – Natural Science and Engineering Research Council, 2006-2008.
• Technical Program Chair for the IEEE International Workshop on Telework, August 28-30, 2006, Fredericton, NB, Canada.
• Advisory Board Member - Digital Ecosystems and Business Intelligence Institute, Australia (2005- ongoing).
• Member Strategic Projects ICT Review Panel – Natural Science and Engineering Research Council, 2005.
• Member on the Scientific Council of the EU Network of Excellence Intelligent Production and Manufacturing Systems (NoE I*PROMS), since March 2005.
• Co-Chair Industrial Agents Committee, IEEE-IES, March 2005.
• Finalist in the Innovation Research Contest of the Association of Health Technologies Industry, with the Project ‘e-Health Enabled Standards of Care Development with Application to Glaucoma Follow-Up’ 2005.
• AdCom member, IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (2004-2007).
• Co-Chair Technical Program, IEEE Industrial Informatics Conference, INDIN 2005.
• Nominated on Who is Who in Poetry 2005 by the International Society of Poets
International Advisory Board, IEEE Industrial Informatics Conference 2004,
Professor and Visiting Scholar in the
• Chair Industrial Agents Sub-Committee, IEEE-IES, April 2003
• General Chair 1st IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics, INDIN 2003.
Visiting Professorship Award, Institute for Computer Science, The University of
• Appointed Academic Technical Advisor on the Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing (BISC), 2001 (on going).
• Elected Leader of the Canadian Team on the PABADIS (Plant Automation Based on Distributed Systems) Consortium aiming to develop wireless control strategies for distributed manufacturing systems, 2001-2004.
• The International Poet of Merit Award 2000 – from The International Society of Poets (For excellence in capturing the crises of the 20th Century in poetry)
• Outstanding Paper Award by the International Institute of Advanced Studies in Systems Research, Informatics and Cybernetics, 1999 (co-authored with graduate student R. Subramanian.)
Choice Award for Outstanding Achievement in Poetry (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001);
Awarded by the National Library of
• Elected ‘Senior Member’ Society of Manufacturing Engineers (1999).
Fellowship ($165,000 Cdn) by the prestigious German
Research Foundation "Deutsche Forschungsgemeindschaft"
in the area of Intelligent Control and Robotics with application to Autonomous
Mobile Systems. (Declined by me when accepting my
tenure-track position at
award grant ‚Women in Science and
Engineering’ for doctoral research ($ 64,000 Cdn)
from the Ministry of Science and Culture of Land
Research Award ($ 50,000 Cdn) from the German
Academic Exchange Foundation (1991-93) – received as researcher in